Another day just a couple degrees above freezing. Yesterday I had 3 mason jars bust on me. The 4th one blew out today, and found one of my plastic bottoms to a drinker had cracked as well. And so begins the horrible days of coldness! I try to only fill them up half or less, but somehow, some still manage to bust while the others don't. But luckily I got a present of 4 new plastic drinker sets from TSC today, so all is well for a while. Still doesn't make hauling jugs of hot water back and forth any more easy :P
I discovered 2 babies under Popeye today. Yesterday I was a bit worried because it seemed like forever since they first laid (I'm slack on recording egg laying dates), but when I went to candle one, I saw a baby peeking out of the egg. Luckily both hatched out just fine. Last year Popeye had a hard time getting any babies out of the nest, but now that he's a second year parent, he should do (and has done so far) much better :D
Also found two babies under 8113 and Mr. Wyoming. 8113 is one proud mother. As long as you're in sight, she'll fuss at you, but if you get to close, you'll get the bark AND the bite. I guess since she's a little hurt bird, she decided to make up for it in a big personality. She was hurt as a squeaker, probably got smashed in the nest from a fight or something, so one wing drags the floor. I keep the flights on that wing clipped so it's not such a hassel for her. Despite the wing problem, she gets around pretty good. Since she wouldn't be able to race, or even get around outside safely, I decided to adopt her from Renee.
I let the old birds out yesterday and saturday. Both times resulting in birds attached to the pine tree, and 3 birds spending the night outside on or neat the young bird loft. I can't wait until we finally get some help down here to cut down that tree. It's been causing problems for me basically every year. But since the new young bird loft is right there facing it, it's caused MUCH more problem. I don't think I've ever wanted to scream at a tree so bad, haha.
One bird in particular that just will not go in the OB loft, can't seem to detach himself from his old nest box in the YB loft. There's only 4 little ones above the door in there, already occupied by droppers and fantails. The ones in the OB loft are so much better, don't see why he's so attached to the crappy ones. He hasn't gotten a mate and his own new nest box yet, so that's the majority of the problem. I know I have quite a few hens without mates, so hopefully they'll give in soon so this can stop. There's plenty of nest boxes in the loft right now, but of course everyone wants the top ones. Why can't they all get along! :P
The gazebo loft is almost done. We had a very late start on it, compared to when I thought we'd originally start. It's looking really good so far. Should be just perfect for my fantails and a few doves. Soon I'll have 3 pairs of Mindians as well. I'm really excited about that :D